Studying can sometimes be a frustrating and difficult task if you are not well prepared, if you don’t know what to expect from the course or what you want from the course.
Therefore, I would like to share with you five strategies that will help you get more out of your studies and achieve the goal that you have set yourself, which is finishing your course and achieving your Diploma.
1. Know what your priorities are! Is it partying with friends or finishing your course and getting a job? Once you are able to honestly answer this question, print out your study planner and make sure that you allocate the time required to study.
For example, there are 24 hours in a day, if you remove 8 hours for sleeping, you have 16 hours left to do whatever you want. Therefore, there is no excuses for “I didn’t have time”. Success doesn’t come without sacrifice.
2. Break down the tasks you have to do into smaller parts, as small tasks are easier to complete, require less time, and are less daunting to attempt.
For example, that project you need to write by Monday morning might seem like a massive mountain now… but if you break it down into its basic parts – research, intro, argument, conclusion, proofing etc – it suddenly becomes a series of small hills!
3. There is no such thing as a stupid question, if you don’t understand something, ask your trainer he/she is the industry expert and will be able to guide you.
4. Listen to comments and feedback provided by your trainer as he/she is here to help you.
5. Each time that you are reading information from your course material, write down the key points and the page number of where you found the information, as it will help you to refer back to the information you need more easily.